Recyclers' Talks #5: End-of-Waste: Time to move forward
European recyclers have been calling for harmonized end-of-waste for many waste streams for a long time. The new Circular Economy Action Plan expressly calls for “Creating a well-functioning EU market for secondary raw materials” and lists as a priority action, the evaluation of “EU-wide end-of-waste criteria for certain waste streams based on monitoring Member States’ application”.
Behind this assessment lies the absolute need to go much faster in setting criteria at EU level, to define when waste ceases to be waste for priority streams. In order to invest in processes substituting extracted raw materials with raw materials from recycling, circular value chains need certainty.
This is all the more urgent that transitioning to a circular economy is a pre-requisite to Europe’s overarching goal of climate neutrality, embedded in the European Green Deal.
Join the discussion on what is needed to harmonize end-of-waste criteria.
Keynote Opening Interventions – 9h30 to 9h45
- Emmanuel KATRAKIS, Secretary General of EuRIC
Panel Discussion with Q&A from the audience – 9h45 to 10h45
- Peter WESSMAN, Legal Officer, DG Environment, Waste Management and Secondary Materials Unit, European Commission
- Sebastien RICARD, Director of Sustainable Development & Public Affairs, PAPREC Group
- Lars RAAHAUGE, Environment & Business Development, Genan Group
- Alex van GELDEREN, Advisor ELT Management, ETRMA
- Sara STIERNSTRÖM, Product and Market Developer, EasyMining – Part of Ragn-Sells Group
Concluding remarks and policy recommendations – 10h45 to 11h
- Alicia GARCIA FRANCO, Vice-President of EuRIC / Director General, FER
The event will be moderated by Felix Bott, @eREC